Friday, 9 May 2008

Religion - a touchy subject...

I have so many ideas I want to get down onto the blog that I find it difficult to know where to start and perhaps get some kind of order and make sense at the same time!

We are lucky that I saw a show last week that gets me started on one of my big issues...

I was flicking through the channels and I saw Dr Tanya Byron on BBC2, so I stopped and took a look as I greatly admire her work that I've seen on the Tiny Tearaways programme, and I wasn't to be disappointed this time. The show was called 'Am I Normal?' and looked at different view points in religion.

A basic overview of my stance is that I have decided proof is needed to guide me in the world, and there is no proof that I know of that tells me any one religion is correct, making the other religions wrong, therefore I don't believe in any of them, though I must say I have respect for other's religions, as everyone is free to make their own minds up.

Through the show I found out that the UK is the least overtly religious country; that a man who was 'speaking in tongues' (words from God being spoken through him) actually wasn't conciously deciding to say what was coming out his mouth (scientific brain activity test); that a high % of people with mental health problems are religious, but that those who were religious did remain more upbeat about their conditions; and that what science can discover currently is what we know or perceive through the brain, but what needs to be done to answer the claims of religions is to go outside the brain - as yet, an impossible task.

I believe that science will find a way to explain everything eventually, we just need to keep trying and not give up. I don't like the word 'invention' much, as it conjures up the idea of making something from nothing, and I believe that everything we could possibly need is already here and we just need to find ways of using it, we're just 'discovering'!

If you hear voices talking to you there are different ways to explain it, who can say how it really works...are you schizophrenic? are you communicating with the dead? are you hearing from God? or is that just you? Apparently, you can talk to yourself from the age of about 2 1/2. I guess a lot of the perception here is how you tell people about the voices. 1 man on the show liked to go out and shout his messages from God to the passing town! I understand he is coming across as crazy, but I do admire him saying what he thinks, something I like to do with smokers, though Eoin makes me take a deep breath and only shout at people I know well enough so I know they can take it, but that's another post!!

As usual all these arguments have left me unsure what I decide, maybe it's wise to keep an open mind at all times anyway! I have decided for sure that I don't believe in any of the organised Gods I have heard about, as I don't think anything omnipotent would ask such unreasonable things of people, like having a superior sex or inciting hatred of others if they don't follow the guidelines in the book of how to be the right kind of person, though I would of course need to thoroughly learn about religions to be able to properly argue that. I am sure enough though that I definitely don't see the point of marriage, but that's another post...!

No comments: