Sunday, 20 April 2008

Questioning "Normal"

When trying to decide what to do in life, from very simple decisions: 'What shall I do today?' to more complex ones: 'Shall we get married?', I have always had a bit of trouble! Now, I'm happy to admit that I'm not very good at all at making decisions (it even infuriates me sometimes!). I think I'm always going to struggle, but I do feel that it often comes down to me having a bit of an instant reaction, which I think is what I should decide, what is normal and common to many people or traditional even, then a little voice inside my head asks me to look at the other options. I'm quite in to looking at things from different perspectives, after all everyone is different.

My defining point that led me to choose what I actually want rather than worry about what's normal was my dad; no matter how much we took the mickey out of his socks and sandals faux pas he just kept on doing it, because he wanted to. I often think about that and all the other things he did, no matter what anyone else said or thought. He never did anything that would harm anyone else, but he never let anyone else ruin his decisions. I stick by that today and always.

No comments: